Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Participants: Derya Akbaba * Ben Allen * Natalia-Rozalia Avlona * Kirill Azernyi * Erin Kathleen Bahl * Natasha Bajc * Lucas Bang * Tully Barnett * Ivette Bayo * Eamonn Bell * John Bell * kiki benzon * Liat Berdugo * Kathi Berens * David Berry * Jeffrey Binder * Philip Borenstein * Gregory Bringman * Sophia Brueckner * Iris Bull * Zara Burton * Evan Buswell * Ashleigh Cassemere-Stanfield * Brooke Cheng* Alm Chung * Jordan Clapper * Lia Coleman * Imani Cooper * David Cuartielles * Edward de Jong * Pierre Depaz * James Dobson * Quinn Dombrowski * Amanda Du Preez * Tristan Espinoza * Emily Esten * Meredith Finkelstein * Caitlin Fisher * Luke Fischbeck * Leonardo Flores * Laura Foster * Federica Frabetti * Jorge Franco * Dargan Frierson * Arianna Gass * Marshall Gillson * Jan Grant * Rosi Grillmair * Ben Grosser * E.L. (Eloisa) Guerrero * Yan Guo * Saksham Gupta * Juan Gutierrez * Gottfried Haider * Nabil Hassein * Chengbo He * Brian Heim * Alexis Herrera * Paul Hertz * shawné michaelain holloway * Stefka Hristova * Simon Hutchinson * Mai Ibrahim * Bryce Jackson * Matt James * Joey Jones * Masood Kamandy * Steve Klabnik * Goda Klumbyte * Rebecca Koeser * achim koh * Julia Kott * James Larkby-Lahet * Milton Laufer * Ryan Leach * Clarissa Lee * Zizi Li * Lilian Liang * Keara Lightning * Chris Lindgren * Xiao Liu * Paloma Lopez * Tina Lumbis * Ana Malagon * Allie Martin * Angelica Martinez * Alex McLean * Chandler McWilliams * Sedaghat Payam Mehdy * Chelsea Miya * Uttamasha Monjoree * Nick Montfort * Stephanie Morillo * Ronald Morrison * Anna Nacher * Maxwell Neely-Cohen * Gutierrez Nicholaus * David Nunez * Jooyoung Oh * Mace Ojala * Alexi Orchard * Steven Oscherwitz * Bomani Oseni McClendon * Kirsten Ostherr * Julia Polyck-O'Neill * Andrew Plotkin * Preeti Raghunath * Nupoor Ranade * Neha Ravella * Amit Ray * David Rieder * Omar Rizwan * Barry Rountree * Jamal Russell * Andy Rutkowski * samara sallam * Mark Sample * Zehra Sayed * Kalila Shapiro * Renee Shelby * Po-Jen Shih * Nick Silcox * Patricia Silva * Lyle Skains * Winnie Soon * Claire Stanford * Samara Hayley Steele * Morillo Stephanie * Brasanac Tea * Denise Thwaites * Yiyu Tian * Lesia Tkacz * Fereshteh Toosi * Alejandra Trejo Rodriguez * Álvaro Triana * Job van der Zwan * Frances Van Scoy * Dan Verständig * Roshan Vid * Yohanna Waliya * Sam Walkow * Kuan Wang * Laurie Waxman * Jacque Wernimont * Jessica Westbrook * Zach Whalen * Shelby Wilson * Avery J. Wiscomb * Grant Wythoff * Cy X * Hamed Yaghoobian * Katherine Ye * Jia Yu * Nikoleta Zampaki * Bret Zawilski * Jared Zeiders * Kevin Zhang * Jessica Zhou * Shuxuan Zhou

Guests: Kayla Adams * Sophia Beall * Daisy Bell * Hope Carpenter * Dimitrios Chavouzis * Esha Chekuri * Tucker Craig * Alec Fisher * Abigail Floyd * Thomas Forman * Emily Fuesler * Luke Greenwood * Jose Guaraco * Angelina Gurrola * Chandler Guzman * Max Li * Dede Louis * Caroline Macaulay * Natasha Mandi * Joseph Masters * Madeleine Page * Mahira Raihan * Emily Redler * Samuel Slattery * Lucy Smith * Tim Smith * Danielle Takahashi * Jarman Taylor * Alto Tutar * Savanna Vest * Ariana Wasret * Kristin Wong * Helen Yang * Katherine Yang * Renee Ye * Kris Yuan * Mei Zhang
Coordinated by Mark Marino (USC), Jeremy Douglass (UCSB), and Zach Mann (USC). Sponsored by the Humanities and Critical Code Studies Lab (USC), and the Digital Arts and Humanities Commons (UCSB).

Abstraction, disembodiment, and the environmental impacts of technology

Title: Neural network example in Keras
Author/s: Keras docs (not sure exactly who wrote it)
Language/s: Python
Year/s of development: 2019
Software/hardware requirements (if applicable): Anything ranging from just your computer to 64 GPUs

Abstraction, disembodiment, and the environment

Below is a snippet of code showing how to set up a small single-input neural network that performs binary classification in Keras (a popular deep learning framework in Python):

# For a single-input model with 2 classes (binary classification):
model = Sequential()
model.add(Dense(32, activation='relu', input_dim=100))
model.add(Dense(1, activation='sigmoid'))
model.compile(optimizer='rmsprop',
              loss='binary_crossentropy',
              metrics=['accuracy'])

# Generate dummy data
import numpy as np
data = np.random.random((1000, 100))
labels = np.random.randint(2, size=(1000, 1))

# Train the model, iterating on the data in batches of 32 samples
model.fit(data, labels, epochs=10, batch_size=32)

This example code comes from a guide found in the Keras docs. The chunk of code under the first comment creates a sequential model with two Dense layers and compiles it. The chunk of code under the second comment generates dummy training data and labels. Finally, the last line of code trains the model by passing in training data and labels into a function called “fit”.

I want to focus specifically on the seemingly simple “fit” function. Many other machine learning frameworks are similar in that after setting up the model architecture and training data, all you have to do is call the “fit” method to actually train the model and the framework will take care of the rest.

On one hand, this abstraction is really helpful. You don’t need to backpropagate millions of weights by hand. You don’t even need to know what backpropagation means. As long as you define a model architecture and feed in some training data and labels, you can train a model. This lowers the barrier of entry to training a neural network.

But on the other hand, we pay an environmental price for this abstraction that we don’t immediately internalize. The sample I posted here is a toy example. But imagine if we had a much larger network like BERT, which is a state-of-the-art neural network developed by Google and used for a variety of NLP (natural language processing) tasks. The smaller model (BERT base) has 110 million total parameters and the larger model (BERT large) has 340 million. A paper published last year by the University of Massachusetts Amherst detailing the energy usage of deep learning in NLP shows that “[...] training BERT on GPU is roughly equivalent to a trans-American flight” (see Table 3 on page 4 of the paper). The amount of computational resources needed to train BERT is enormous: “NVIDIA reports that they can train a BERT model in 3.3 days (79.2 hours) using 4 DGX-2H servers, totaling 64 Tesla V100 GPUs”.

There are even more abstractions that make training models easier but also further distances us from its actual physical impacts. Don’t own 64 GPUs? No problem. You can pay AWS (Amazon Web Services) or Google Cloud to use their computing resources. It is common practice now to train models “in the cloud”. Now there really is no immediate physical indicator of how much computing resources you’re using. It’s all just ~ in the cloud ~

Abstraction is a holy tenet of software engineering. In my computer science classes, I was taught to hide all unnecessary complexities behind clearly defined, easy-to-use APIs. I never considered that a side effect of all this abstraction was a sense of disembodiment. The idea that there are physical limitations is as obvious as saying “water is wet” and yet, something I rarely think about as a software engineer. I just always assume that I will have the computing resources I need.

Reembody and Reimagine

Grappling with the disembodiment of abstraction and virtual space reminds me of a beautiful essay published by the MIT Press called “Making Kin with the Machines” (Disclaimer: this was published as a critique/response to a manifesto Joi Ito wrote while he was still at MIT. However, he is not an author of the essay). This paragraph sums up what I hope to learn and discuss through the lens of Indigenous programming:

“One of the challenges for Indigenous epistemology in the age of the virtual is to understand how the archipelago of websites, social media platforms, shared virtual environments, corporate data stores, multiplayer video games, smart devices, and intelligent machines that compose cyberspace is situated within, throughout and/or alongside the terrestrial spaces Indigenous peoples claim as their territory. In other words, how do we as Indigenous people reconcile the fully embodied experience of being on the land with the generally disembodied experience of virtual spaces? How do we come to understand this new territory, knit it into our existing understanding of our lives lived in real space, and claim it as our own?”

As someone who is currently living on stolen Duwamish lands, I am not the right person to answer these questions. So I would really love to learn from people who are or anyone could better expand upon these topics:
1. [From the paragraph above]: How do we as Indigenous people reconcile the fully embodied experience of being on the land with the generally disembodied experience of virtual spaces? How do we come to understand this new territory, knit it into our existing understanding of our lives lived in real space, and claim it as our own?
2. We are currently in a climate crisis that is only going to get worse. Not only is there an environmental impact from machine learning, but also huge impacts from data storage, networks, and the mining of minerals for devices to name a few. In the essay, the authors (who are Indigenous peoples themselves) state: “We undertake this project not to “diversify” the conversation. We do it because we believe that Indigenous epistemologies are much better at respectfully accommodating the non-human.” And I wholly agree. What are different Indigenous lenses we can look through to incorporate technology respectfully with the environment? What about other lenses?

Comments